Update from Meribel, France

Date: 28th January 2008

Sorry it has taken me so long to write an update! It has been hectic the last few weeks and trying to find the time to sit down and write something has been difficult!

Les Contamines: The first world cup of the season, one to be forgotten! Massive jumps, large gaps before the landings, I was struggling to clear the landings on the training day, then it snowed overnight and slowed the track down, other than my ski falling off in training and losing most of my confidence as I ate it hard, I ended up compressing my back landing badly off one of the big jumps and ended up spending the next 2 days at the physio!

Flaine: The second world cup, Just a few days after Les Conatmines, I wasn't sure whether my back would hold up, Andrea the physio did some excellent work and I was able to start. After double ejecting off the first jump in training I realised I was going to have to get my bindings re mounted as I was losing confidence and not able to commit to the course fearing my skis may fall off again! Happy just to be able to start, it was a pretty nice course, quite techincal and the jumps had nice landings, I skied into 24th position, but had a lot of room for improvement.

Kreischberg: After a 12 hour trek across Europe with Em my team mate,, and a brief stop at the Milka factory, we arrived in Kreischberg Austria to minimal snow for the 3rd world cup within a week! Training was cancelled but they managed to pull the event off. The course was pretty good, I skied alright, was closer to the winner in qualifying with 2,9 seconds off and finishing in 20th position. Still not overly happy with my skiing, seeing places where I could improve, particularly on the jumps. Overall had an absolute blast.

Zweisimmen: The first Europa Cup for the season. The course was set quite open and along the flat, it was fairly tame, with fairly straight forward jumps and nothing too difficult. I unfortunately just struggled to create speed on this course. I wasn't scared of anything but just skied slow. I think some longer/faster skis may have helped so I didn't qualify (18th) which I was pretty disappointed with, especially after doing well on this course last year placing 5th. The following day there was an open ski cross event on the same course. After another slow qualification run, i realised the course just was not for me. After qualifying 13th I had last choice of gate, ended up on the outside lane, but managed to come 3rd in my heat, not continuing on into the finals. It was good to get in the starting 4s finally!

I am now back in Meribel, France with Em, having some time off and giving my shins a rest! This weekend there is a Europa Cup in Bormio, Italy, so I am hoping for bigger and better things there! Will be in touch when I can! Until then, Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment